Random Hexamer Primers are a mixture of oligonucleotides representing all possible sequence for that size. Random Primers can be used to prime synthesis in oligo-labeling similar to using hexamers and cDNA synthesis.
- Mixture of oligonucleotides -for RNA missing a polyA tail such as bacterial RNA
- Binds randomly -for RNA with strong secondary structure
Random Hexamer Primers consist of a mixture of oligonucleotides representing all possible hexamer sequences. Random Hexamer Primers are commonly used for priming single-stranded DNA or RNA for extension by DNA polymerases or reverse transcriptases.
During cDNA generation, random priming gives random coverage to all regions of the RNA to generate a cDNA pool containing various lengths of cDNA. Random priming is incapable of distinguishing between mRNA and other RNA species present in the reaction.
Primer Sequence: 5´ – d (NNNNNN) –3´ N = G, A, T or C
A mixture of random hexamer primers and oligo(dT) may improve the sensitivity of cDNA synthesis.
- DNA synthesis using Klenow fragment with DNA templates
- DNA probe synthesis for use in Northern and Southern blots, and in situ hybridization applications
- Partially degraded RNA samples
- RNA without poly(A) tail such as ribosomal RNAs
- RNA with strong secondary structure
- Target regions at 5´ end of a long messenger RNA transcript
We’ve started building a collection of short written and video reviews that we share online with the research community. Would you like to share your experience of the Random Hexamer Primers as part of our new customer review program? To watch or read our reviews, to learn more about the rewards being offered, or to post your own review, please click here
Certification of Analysis (COAs)
Random Hexamer Primers (50 ng/µL)
1 x 500 µL
500 µL at 50 ng/μL
Storage & Stability
All components should be stored at -20°C upon receipt for optimum stability. Repeated freeze/thaw cycles should be avoided.
When stored under the recommended conditions and handled correctly, full activity of the reagents is retained until the expiry date indicated on the outer box label.
Shipped on dry/blue ice.